100% government funding is available to employers to create 6-month job opportunities for 16-24-year-olds who are not in employment (or 9-months for those who meet certain criteria).
The new JobStart Scheme is a program designed to help young people who are at risk of long-term unemployment get into the job market. Employers of all sizes and in all sectors, including the voluntary and community organisations can participate
Employer Key Facts
- Employers can offer one job or multiple jobs (depending on the number of staff currently in permanent employment)
- JobStart opportunities must not replace existing or planned vacancies or cause existing employees, apprentices, or contractors to lose or reduce their employment.
- Jobs offered must provide a 6-month opportunity, with a possible extension to 9- months for those who meet certain criteria.
- Job opportunities must offer at least 25 hours of employment per week.
- Jobs must pay at least the National Minimum Wage (for the participant’s age group) through PAYE.
Employer Financial Benefits
For each job opportunity employers will receive funding to cover:
- 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours of work per week*
- The associated employer National Insurance contributions
- Employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
For further information please visit